My son’s middle school class is going to do visual journaling all year long–how cool is that? The teacher asked me for assistance way back in the middle of the summer, and what began as a limited decorate-the-journal-cover project blossomed into a full-blown study of journaling that then got distilled into presentations for the kids. Did I ever learn a lot!
I’ll talk about the journaling more in a separate post, though. Here I want to show the list booklets I made for the kids. When discussing the project with the teacher, we agreed that the first thing to do to give the kids somewhere to start was with a list-making activity . . . and that got me thinking that it would be great fun for them to be writing their lists down in a booklet that started their brains thinking about their own visual journaling pages. Much more inspirational than writing down on another sheet of lined notebook paper!
So one evening while the kids were watching a movie this summer, I set up on the kitchen island with Canson Biggie sketch 14×17″ paper and my acrylic inks, and I went to town. It was such a hoot! I made sure to use different color combinations on each sheet and also did the front and backs different ways. Probably I did about 4 sheets front & back.
I decided that the booklets would be 5×5″ and sewn pamphlet-style. They would be a combination of the painted papers and plain white paper, but on the plain pages I would add a couple of things–that ended up being one flap that opened up to write on and one envelope with a small set of papers (made from the trimming scraps) inside it.
The end result was 13 booklets that were unique–the kids loved them and were very careful to store them in their lockers when done instead of leaving them around their desks or on the floor.
Not that I had much time to do it in–this was about 11 p.m. the night before presenting. I grabbed one of the free sheets from a Somerset Studio for the cover, and then I took all the remaining scraps of a decent size and put them on the insides (no pamphlet sewing for me–too late at night!).
The last thing I did was to stick a packing tape transfer on the cover. I do like it, but eventually I will trim it more closely to the figure of the woman so it doesn’t look quite so much like, well, packing tape.